Friday, August 12, 2011

Personal power

I have been thinking about the 'personal power' chakra and I have been thinking too about the visualization that my meditation teacher told us about in some detail - a way of making the personal power chakra stronger. I even mentioned it to my psychologist in one of my final sessions. (There have only been ten sessions but they have been stretched out over a few months.)

My psychologist is very much a pragmatist, a recovering perfectionist, a feminist who I can see bristling when I mention 'submission' and so I knew that the chakras would not be her thing. But, I felt the need to tell her that I thought the chakras and my personal power weakness to be related to my thoughts - and thoughts are definitely her thing.  I explained to her that I very, very much wanted to maintain balance in life - to have peace within myself by finding my boundary point (or balance) within and not allowing other people to interfere overly in maintaining that balance.

I explained to her that I sometimes felt that my joyful and peaceful state was disrupted by others who needed me to deal with their own upset and distress and that despite my best efforts to stay calm and balanced within myself, their upset upset me.

Somehow or other we were quickly into the world of my thoughts and she was going over old territory and delving further. We were talking about my "guilt" and blind Freddie could have seen that she had a point. When I had a plan of my day or my morning and some loved one came along with their own needs of me I quickly bought into the notion that their needs superseded my own. Although I was put off balance by this I invariably gave into their needs due to my feelings of guilt that otherwise I would be considered a "bad mother" or a "bad wife" or a "bad submissive". It went back to the notion of "subjugation" and it needed to return to the notion of "assertiveness" where I had the personal power to express the fact that I had needs of my own. I needed to create "barriers" around myself, she said.

I told her that I had been accepted for the Masters of Writing programme at my desired institution but was a little concerned. My desk was close to the action of the household, although I did have a little nook in my sights upstairs where I would have more privacy. She went in for the kill. Yes, the nook was a good idea and when there, unless it was an emergency, I should not be interrupted, she said. I had to be forceful about this. I had to claim my right for this to be considered important to me.

I needed to write new "narratives", she said. I needed to see that it was not helpful to other people to always jump to their beck and call. They needed to understand the consequences for their own actions and to rely less on me. Most of all, I needed to drop the guilt. I had devoted my life to my family and this was my time in the sun. She was still talking softly but I could see she was firm about this. At one point she even said, "tell them that Michelle said..." Oh boy!

This morning I went to my yoga class and when we completed the class with our regular relaxation time on our mats I felt ready to try something that I had been thinking about for 5 days. I decided to try the meditation that my teacher had told me about to boost my personal power. It just seemed the right time to do that.

I was at the base of a mountain; a beautiful and lush mountain, perhaps in Bali. I was dressed comfortably for the warmth of the day and I began the trek up the mountain; step by step up the wooden steps. By the time I reach the mountain top, a plateau, I was weary but invigorated by the beautiful view of other mountain caps in the distance. It was all stunningly green and the heavens seemed close.

Maybe 100 metres away I saw a beautiful, brightly coloured cushion and a small fireplace glowing bright. I approached the cushion and saw that there was paper and pen on the cushion and I picked it up and sat down on the cushion with my legs crossed. I knew that I was here for a purpose and on the paper I wrote down the behaviours of one person in particular; the behaviours of that person towards me that had hurt me. I made a list of those behaviours and when I had finished I crunched the paper into a ball.

I held the ball of paper in my hand, and registering that the person was indeed very safe and that I only had influence over their hurtful behaviours, I carefully placed the ball of paper into the fire. I did not take my eyes off the paper until the flames had turned every bit of the paper into ash and even then I sat for a minute or so and accepted that the bad behaviours of the past had been destroyed.

I felt my breathing soften and calm and as I looked about me, east and west, I could see nothing but spectacular beauty. I had an urge to stand and as I stood I felt a desire to bring my hands up to the heavens. I twirled and felt a magnificent lightness of being. My chest swelled with a knowledge of my new found personal power. I felt it lift upwards and I felt the surge of energy.

In real life, I was still laying on my yoga mat in a room full of women but I was unable to stop the tears that flowed from my eyes and down the sides of my face. This was a surreal moment; a holy, sacred moment of love and power and energy. My personal power chakra overflowed with a new sense of enlightenment.

It is said that one meditates when one needs to be with oneself and when one is ready, and each person knows this instinctively if they care to listen to themselves, they will return to the relationships of their lives and have more to give. My heart tells me very clearly that this is time to meditate.I trust that this will renew me in such a way that my loved ones will ultimately be the benefactors of my understanding that we must each have a relationship with ourselves. This does not, in my estimation, go against submission but merely makes for a more complete human being, better able to express his or her true nature.

6 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful post. My heart has been telling me the same thing...I've been losing my relationship with myself. It's odd how when we need to hear something important, a voice will be heard. Thank you Vesta, and I am glad you are finding your way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really take a lot from this. Allowing myself to reclaim personal power has been a solo journey for me as well, so it's quite affirming to see others are there and *get it*.. at this point I am thankfully far enough on the journey to have lost the desire to turn back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vesta
    just reading your words were calming. I have missed our conversations, hopefully we will virtually bump into each other so very soon.

    xxoo ~a

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vesta - thank you for sharing. I am trying to find balance and some "me" time and stumbled across your post. It really spoke to me. Thank you. Take care, Sky

    ReplyDelete
  6. littlemonkey: As I have been learning about the chakras, it is the personal power chakra to which I have, so far, most deeply responded. I somehow feel that in spite of someone having a submissive nature and looking for control, or even someone having a dominant nature and looking to control, one has to feel that one has a personal power - a relationship with themself. We all talk so much of connection, but to really connect with others, I suspect we have to feel a sense of connection with ourselves as well.

    K - I wonder if it might always be a solo journey actually. I mean, I shared this meditation experience with my husband just yesterday morning and it was lovely to share, but holding it in my heart just for me has given me much peace and joy. When a person latches onto the notion of personal power I suspect it is right for them to do that alone. Quite naturally those feelings flow into other relationships. At least, this is what I experienced.

    goodgirl: Well, that is nice to hear, since I love the state of calm so very much and like to think that my words could have that effect on others.

    Serenity: My pleasure. I was thinking about you as I wrote the bit about guilt. As mothers we give away much of ourselves, as we should. But, we can't lose ourselves in the process. That does no one any good. We really must take care of ourselves, too.

    Sky: The beauty of meditation, once you learn how to do it from someone who can really show you the way, is that it can take only minutes, sometimes even seconds to find balance. Just breathing in through the nose for 4 counts and out again through the nose for 4 counts, maybe four times, and you will start to notice a difference about your state of mind. Start there.

    ReplyDelete