Saturday, September 4, 2010

Shelter

My husband and I talked this morning of the fact that we are, at this time, operating in very different spaces. Whilst his preoccupations are of the external kind - macro economics, the election and its aftermath and various individual businesses and their growth - my preoccupations continue to be the well being of the family as a whole, individuals within that family and my own personal and very private pursuits to write and explore the world and my inner world through writing.

To give you an example, I attended a writers' festival yesterday and just revelled in that world of ideas. I won't go into it in this post, but perhaps the next, of the polar opposite views of writers from one session to the next. It is the sort of exhilarating experience that I can usually share with my husband in detail over lunch or something, but he feels so locked away in his own thoughts that I feel that at this time I should keep them to myself.

His predisposition is to share his views with me on nearly everything and I listen. I confess, it is sometimes with only one ear. I recognize his need and want to take life seriously and that he carries around with him a good deal of stress. I accept that as part of his nature, style and responsibilities.

There are times when I feel helpless. I attend to the house, to preparing a lovely meal each evening, to fulfilling the children's needs and to keeping his life running as smoothly as I can. I bottle up my frustrations, simmer them down onto the lowest possible level and just contain my world into its smallest entity. I batten down the hatches, so to speak, until this wild storm is over and his world view has mellowed and the stress has dissipated.

I am currently reading a book entitled 'Ego and Soul' as I work towards letting go of my ego. I contain my emotions as best I know how and search to find my inner strength. It is not always easy. My natural inclination is to search for the joy in life - to reach out to life and grab it with both hands in a personally victorious sort of way - and right now this containment feels sad.

I try to remind my husband of the fun we had - and there was just as much stress back then really as there is now. He sees the point. He tries to reach out for it but just can't quite get there right now. I see the upset in his eyes - a sense of itchiness, worry and tenseness - and I worry for him and about him. It is as if he has started to hold his breath and is running out of air.

I remember once when I had begun to do that. The situation was so difficult for me and I wondered how long I could go on. And, with no fanfare or preparation at all I received a phone call telling me of good news:

"Are you telling me it's over?" I asked.

"Yes, it is over," he said.

And, one day this will be over and then we will breathe easy again, too.

We all have our challenges in life. Two writers yesterday of a similar age watched their son's die in their arms. Sorrow abounds. Yet, their vibrancy for life lives on. They gave a great deal to their audiences yesterday alone.

There are sad times. There are happy times. Life goes on. Our challenge is to never give up on life. This too shall pass.

6 comments:

  1. That's deep. These ARE stressful times. Perhaps this is the new normal.

    But compared to what those writer's lost...well, need I say more?

    I hope that your husband is able to take a deep breath soon and that the two of you can enter in to the happy times season soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baby Man: Bryce Courtenay (Australia's best selling author) didn't hold back about how he felt about the "Literati" and believes we are looking inward as opposed to telling stories about this most unique and fascinating country and its people. The truth is that his most personal book about his son and his death (April Fool's Day) moved me much more than any other story and was written because he promised his son on his death bed that he would do so. Nothing I have been through compares with that.

    Yet, stress that doesn't go away for many, many years takes it toll. It will be over one day but until it is, he will worry and obsess and my role is to stay calm and measured and do whatever I can, whilst not allowing the stress to impact me.

    Letting go of one's ego for a person like me under the stress I live under is deeply challenging but we have been talking about that this evening over a glass of wine, in fact, and his observations have been helpful. We'll get there, I am sure of that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Vesta

    Well, there's a lot here!

    1. I'd love to hear about the writers' festival (was it a writer's festival or a writers' festival?;)! Please do tell us more about it.

    1a. Another Australian author comes up ...! btw once I read a book by Gerald Murnane called Inland. I liked it so much I swore I would read everything else he wrote. Have you come across him?

    2. I feel sympathy for your husband for the first time in perhaps ever. I can identify: his stresses and responses sound similar to mine (but *mucho* different tambien of course). I often have to remind myself that my wife loves me, /believes/ in me, and so on; the signs are there. It's like a maze or a Rubik's cube trying to work out how to make everything fit.

    Brutally, long ago attending to my wife's sexual needs became just another household chore. Hearing or thinking about them does not alleviate stress, quite the opposite. I should like her to address mine for once

    Soryy about that.

    3. Can I ask about the ego and soul para? I agree that ego contains a lot of harmful material trying to transcending it somehow can be a beneficial activity. Having said that surely containing one's emotions (esp. in your situation) is a superego activity no? How is strengthening one's superego transcendental? (disclaimer: I contain my emotions most of the time and my superego is pretty ripped).

    I'm very sorry you're having a hard time. I hope you can both massage your way through it.

    PL

    ReplyDelete
  4. PL: Bless your sweet heart - the error is corrected. You'll have me writing with correct grammar eventually! I heard Gerald Murnane speak for a wonderful hour and I can hardly wait to get my hands on his work. Did you know, he has been nominated for a Noble Prize three times, so we are in good company when we say we are impressed by him.

    In fact, my husband and I connected wonderfully well this morning. I think there have been times when he has felt he needs all his energy and focus to get through the situation. He tends to know too much really and in order to avert a crisis he keeps a close eye on the ball. Yet, when we took time to be together all morning and were very close and tender, I could see the stress lift from him and he had a very happy and contented day. I do think it terribly important that he feels that his needs are being attended to - to do what he wants and when he wants and to feel that I am attending to him. I think that is entirely fair and right.

    I had an amazing and life changing situation this weekend re ego and self and the difference between those two things and I feel exhuberant about that. I do plan to write about it all because it is very related to how I am reacting to the submission. But, it is all so new and so raw at this time and I am processing, processing, processing.

    But, as soon as I can and when I can sit down quietly, I will write about it here, for sure.

    Thank you for your kind words. It is not an easy time for either of us but we are doing fine.

    Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. > I heard Gerald Murnane speak for a wonderful hour
    > and I can hardly wait to get my hands on his work.

    Oh wow! Tell me everything! Tell me if you find one of his books and I'll try and get the same one!

    Very glad you've had some good time together. We went away for a month and it was only in the last few days that anything happened, and even then I fumbled (more later, elsewhere: I'm starting to write too).

    PL

    ReplyDelete
  6. PL: It probably isn't the right place for me to start, but I am going to read 'The Barley Patch' first. The man interviewing him (and I'd met him at a dinner earlier in the year - all soooo exciting!) referred to it over and over again.

    You know what impresses me the most about him? He is in his 70s. He has never left Australia, has barely left the state, and yet he makes, by his own admission, a lot out of a little. I wrote down this quote: "There are parts of yourself you don't know until you start writing." He says he sometimes wonder who wrote the words and yet he knows he is the author. I was really smitten.

    ReplyDelete