Saturday, October 19, 2013

The power exchange dynamic

No matter how well trained we are or how disciplined we are or how accommodating we are, there are going to be moments when things don't go as well as one would like, and I think an exploration of those difficult moments enables one to gauge the dynamic and see just how it works.

In some weeks or even months now I have only had one difficult day. It happened about two weeks ago now. To set it up, it was the first day of the last term of the academic year. I was under some pressure. My husband had wanted to stay an extra day in the country, which was fine except that it put me in a situation where I had to scramble to get in an academic task by the deadline of midnight that same day, and my son was in a similar boat.

So, on the Tuesday when I awoke I was tired (we'd done a lot of physical work in the past three days) and possibly I was not emotionally prepared for the tasks ahead of me - getting sons to train/school etc. How about I got ready fast, my husband suggested as I crawled out of bed, and we'd take the boy to school and then I could drop him off to the office in town on my way to the market?

It set me off. I said something along the lines of "All you have to do is prepare yourself. I have responsibilities and I can't get ready for the day right now. I can't guarantee I will be ready by 8.15 am." Something like that. I was clearly not myself because he came out to the kitchen and offered to take the boy to the train but I declined that offer. Anyways, he can do a good job of cajoling me in such a mood and I can do a decent job of recovering from a setback and we were on our way to the city bright and early with me driving. All good.

We weren't far from home, going around the edge of a park when it was obvious I had to stop. Two enormous trucks had entered the narrow street and I couldn't pass. My husband was immediately agitated and started barking orders about what I was to do about it. I was agitated that he was barking orders. In such a situation it pays to stay very quiet but as I have explained in some detail already, I hadn't woken up in the most bimbo of moods. I didn't really understand what he wanted me to do in the dilemma until I gathered he wanted me to reverse into a driveway as he was beckoning both the truck drivers on.

So, once I could follow what he wanted me to do, and I accept that I was probably making the odd suggestion of my own which isn't something I usually do, I backed into the driveway. However, he was continuing to freak out, and I could only think that somehow, if it is really possible to do so, I was backing into the driveway wrong.

So the trucks moved, we passed, I went into silent mode biting my bottom lip in order to settle myself and he continued to rant on about what I had done wrong, how I hadn't listened and so forth. He's good at recognizing what he did later in the day these days but in the spur of the moment he can remain defensive and he continued to defend how that all had gone down. I stayed as silent as I could but he goads me to talk in these situations and ultimately I said something like "You are all grown up now. You have to learn to get control of your emotions!" Anyways, he was ready to settle down but I wasn't and when I let him out in town he wanted it all to be settled, but all I could manage was "Look, we're sweet, I really have to get out of the bus lane now."

Once I was on my own I headed to a cafe and had a strong black coffee and settled myself: sent a cajoling text, because I did recognize that there is a way to handle these situations and that wasn't it. Later in the day he sent one back and later that night he suggested that I probably haven't been spanked enough; that spankings settle me. Duh!

I've explained endlessly that I talk with someone about my submissive side and that our conversations always have a particular pattern. I'm on the bottom. On this day, I wouldn't say that I was dominant at all but I was very unsettled at the beginning, middle and end of it. I suggested that I sensed something was up with him. What a classic case of transference of which I was completely unaware!!It was me that was unsettled; me that was feeling particularly guilty.

He was slow in his responses, probably sitting there in front of his electrical device thinking "What the f...?". I must say he did a sterling job of keeping his wits about him, ensuring that I understood that he wasn't going to budge or allow me the slightest leeway in the dynamic we share. Ultimately he accused me of not following the guidelines as laid out (How does he know???) and bid me a good afternoon. The guilt was super thick now; embedded into the brain.

I sat there for a bit, wondering how the hell this day had gone so wrong. Then, I did what I know to do pretty well these days. I pulled my socks up, got back to bimbo business as I know to do, got on with my daily tasks both in and outside of the house, made dinner and prepared myself to be charming, gracious, obedient and in my place again. That worked. That suits everybody.

I thought about all this and recognized that I don't have control and nor do I want control. I'm not necessarily that nice when I have more control than suits me. My relationships don't work that way, and they certainly don't work well for me that way. I pondered. What if I'd got the upper hand in these situations that day? What if either one of them, or both of them had not prevailed? What a total mess that would be; what an unmitigated disaster!!

A great deal of my 'training' has been learning about how to interact with a dominant man and I would suggest that the best way to do that is with a great deal of intelligence, restraint, discipline and respect. Apologies are sometimes in order on either or both sides of the coin. I'm not suggesting anything different but I am noting that a dominant must ensure he prevail. Control is paramount for the good order of the relationship.

5 comments:

  1. Yes! It takes sometimes a good deal of contrition and stength. One thing that's sometimes hardest for mouse to accept is that as much as she struggles with Omega's control, especially when he exorcises it, deep down its the way she must be. Submissive to him.

    Hugs,
    mouse

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Very entertaining and sexy article. I love the way you described the intensity of your morning exchanges with your husband, your helpless confusion while he barked commands at you and your later feelings of guilt. So beautifully submissive! Most of all I enjoyed your reflection that you have no control, desire no control and that actually you are less likeable when given control. So wonderful that you accept this fact so openly. Thanks for brightening my day with this glimpse into your remarkable mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. mouse: Since there will always some instances of struggle, it's comforting to remind oneself that this is what one wants. I watched a TED talk last night that reminded me that *choosing* submission is still very much a Western notion. Millions of women still live under a tight patriarchal system wherein they have no economic independence and are thus vulnerable. Choosing to be submissive as I (and you) do means that I owe it to myself to honor that choice for both myself, my husband and the health of the relationship.

    Rollymo: Maybe I give too much away...? LOL We've been together a long time and his temper is not likely to disappear entirely. I've worked hard to accommodate it and to stifle it as much as possible. Grace and tact are part of my arsenal of weapons and that means remaining in a state of tranquility. I've been trained and trained myself well to be a calm and content person but even before all that I often had people tell me that I was "ethereal". The truth is that was the surface and below deck I could be anxious and even, dare I say it, controlling in instances. I've worked so hard to accommodate his nature and to transform my own state of mind for our mutual benefit and pleasure that I can be very hard on myself when I have a relapse of any sort. I'm always looking for more from myself. I am glad I entertained you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Entertain you did, but please do not make the mistake of thinking that I read you for whimsical diversion. The life lessons you share here carry great weight and are the product of a sharp intellect operating in very demanding circumstances. It is your remarkable spirit that brings a smile to my lips.

    ReplyDelete
  5. rollymo: That's a lovely compliment. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete