Friday, April 25, 2014

Praise and affection: The essential ingredients

Dominant people want to be in control. That's their nature. At all costs, they have to prevail. If they don't prevail, much is lost for both partners, though clever types will eventually register that in any relationship there has to be some compromise and adjustments.

When a submissive is uncomfortable with a command it suggests that something has gone wrong with the delicate balance of power and energy between the two people. The Dominant takes and the submissive gives because they both want that, but that doesn't mean that something about the flow of energy between them might be unsatisfactory at some stage. Unfortunately, a remark by the submissive that she is having a problem with the command may be taken as a rebuke or a complaint.

That's a difficult situation because the Dominant might interpret this as a 'mistake' on his part and I suspect that is an even more uncomfortable thought for him than any thought that the submissive isn't co-operating or being obedient. I think sensitive people, as opposed to completely selfish people, harbor some guilt that they might have gone one step too far or been a bit greedy about how much they could fairly take from the submissive.

My strongest tendency in the submissive role is to want to make things right. I want the other to be untroubled and for there to be a smooth flow and ease of life and transactions. My biggest flaw, I think, is that I'm willing to do just about anything to enable the other to have his way and thus to be happy with me. I jog along and jog along until my sensibilities are disrupted and then I must listen to my own mind and register that all is not right. I think this is inevitable, that eventually concerned feelings rise to the surface and require expression. It's just the way the mind works.

Let's say he gives a directive. It's been a steady flow of advancement to this point and he's been forthright and determined (as well as patient), taking her onto more and more advanced levels of this training.

He's excited himself, of course. He loves to see her 'succeed' within the dominant flow of energy he provides and she's tried hard; very hard. Now he wants more - more than she thinks she can give and she expresses her doubts but goes on, endures, because he insists on that. He will prevail. She will succeed. With his steadfast determination she does succeed. Much happiness ensues. Now she's done it she has to do it again, and again, until the expectation is that she do it every day. That's enough in itself, one would have thought. But, there is more.

It becomes ho hum; everyday; not that big of a deal. Not only is she to do it every day and report on it everyday but she is to do it with no expectation of it being praised, or even discussed. It's a regimen now, one that takes her time, her focus, her endurance and that has consequences for her that aren't altogether positive or convenient, but a regimen nonetheless; part of her life.

She's tried hard to accept his demands. It is the way she is built, to try to see the best in things and to try to make things work, but eventually she is upset within herself. She's willing to do whatever makes people happy but she's no pushover, no circus dog doing tricks, and that is the way she has come to feel; that her sensibilities are disrupted.

I simply abhor this feeling myself. You might call my sensibilities, my ego, but a woman has nothing but her sensibilities/instincts/intuition to rely on in these situations. Quite unlike a circus dog doing tricks, she's a woman with an overwhelming desire to experience the surge of energy that comes from the Dominant when she gives her energy to him. That's the deal. That's what allows her to do whatever he wants of her - the attention, the affection,the praise together with the control. There isn't much she can do without those ingredients in the mix. She's can't rise without them and so the feelings falls flat.

I think this is where reliance on regimens can go awry. Is it a vanilla style regimen that I cook dinner every night? I'd say so. Is that regimen/rule going to keep a relationship ticking over nicely? Of course not. I need someone to say that they enjoy that meal if I am going to get any jubes out of cooking the meal. The same rule applies to power exchange. Attention. Affection. Praise. It's really very simple.

4 comments:

  1. Very true. I cook because I know that M enjoys what I cook, (and because of the two of us I'm the chef), but if he didn't say that he liked it then I wouldn't do it. Same with my submission to him, he makes sure that I know he appreciates it when I do things that he requests (even if I occasionally have to point out that I have done them), and that is part of what keeps me happy with it, the fact that he is affectionate and gives back, even if it's something as simple as a "well done" or "good kitten". Without those, well, it wouldn't be anywhere near as good as it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kitten54: That makes complete sense to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, it's important to know that what I do and give is appreciated, or it starts to feel like an unpaid job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ticklish: Yes, we don't ever want it feeling like an unpaid job. My boss used to say "either do it gracefully or don't do it at all". I certainly aim to do things gracefully but there is no doubt that I need to feel that my efforts are appreciated. I think we all need that whether man, woman, submissive or dominant.

    I think there may be a pattern here in the sorts of examples I offered. When locking down a regimen, especially a challenging one, a Dominant may be so focused on getting it established that praise might seem to be a little dangerous. He may feel that he has to be very strict and in his efforts to maintain that demeanor he may even avoid giving praise. I could be wrong. I can't say I understand the bulk of a dominant mind, but it feels this way to me. I accept the Dominant's role as instigator and enforcer of regimens but I also feel that a submissive needs that positive flow of energy to be able to sustain her efforts. It's a delicate balance and maybe it simply requires the submissive to express her needs in this area, if the going gets too rough. I don't like having to ask for some positive feedback but I'm not immune from going to that effort.

    ReplyDelete