Monday, July 17, 2017

The accordian

Some people come across as sensible, reliable, predictable, rational and reasonable. They are not people who would be overcome by fame, or who would have 'airs and graces'. They don't see themselves as better than other people.

Some people are not inclined to be convinced of something they don't feel to be right, or that seems too good to be true. They know what they want, what they think, what they believe. They have their feet on their ground, we say.

It is an asset. Of course it is. With your feet on the ground you can respond to the events of your life in an appropriate manner. You are not overwhelmed by your emotions such that you can't make proper decisions and judgments. You don't overthink and unduly concern yourself with matters because the right and proper action to be taken is easily determined.

Alone with your own mind, you can assess the risks and rewards of any potential action and push forward. Perhaps you are right and perhaps you are wrong. Only time will tell. But, nonetheless, based on the facts before you and the assessment of your good thinking mind, you can indeed take the best course of action.

For the above reasons I have liked the expression: feet on the ground. My emotions,  my strengths and weaknesses (what they are depends on how you evaluate them) and my relationships have caused me to not always act with my feet on the ground.

This has caused some distress because it isn't really me to not have my feet on my ground. It's hard to know who to blame sometimes; myself or that other person who, for complicated reasons, coerced me or had me see that it appeared I didn't have a choice.

Indeed, for the well-being of the relationship I relented in acting in accordance with my own best judgment. I took my feet off the ground. I allowed someone else to move me into a different position.

It is a strange feeling, when you just know something deep in your bones, and yet you have to hide that knowledge from yourself. You need time to yourself in deep reflection to understand if you do this. Perhaps I just raised a little doubt in your mind. 'I know what she means. I have those moments of knowing.'

In the business of interacting with other people, in having relationships, we sometimes have to push down what we know to be true. A mind with a modicum of well educated knowledge about life knows more than it is sometimes wise to know for the fine functioning of a relationship.

Strong, reliable, bright, responsible, we are the perfect vessels for holding the negative feelings of another human being whose own negative feelings are sometimes intolerable. It is  part of the attraction, our strength and tolerance to carry them for the other.

As important as you are, therefore, is it any wonder that sometimes you are in high demand. This can make you wonder, yes, why at other times you are pushed away? Like an accordion in play the desire for your attentions fans in and out.

It is not so difficult to understand really. With this skill at our disposal, to gracefully accept and carry another human's deplorable feelings for them, is it not also entirely possible that, akin to a surgeon who can enhance or diminish life, we have the skills to annihilate another human?

We, empathetic souls that we are, don't think of this. The thought never pops into our head. But, it does pop into the mind of the other. You knew this really. You knew there had to an explanation for the unexplained behavior.

Push and pull. Back and forth. In and out. Up and Down. To and fro.  Stop and Go. So it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment