Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Moving away from loneliness

Loneliness is a concept I am often mulling over, in one shape or another. I'm currently read Olivia Laing's The Lonely City and am reminded that loneliness is an experience that we all share at certain moments, and not necessarily when we are alone. Sex is important to us because it can, for those moments, bridge the divide between us. Laing writes, 'That's the dream of sex, isn't it? That you will be liberated from the prison of the body by the body itself, at long last desired, its strange tongue understood.'

Her comment made me put the book down and stare into the abyss. Perhaps this is what had happened to me. It's not enough for me to be in close touch to my husband, side by side in bed, or him stroking me softly, or even making love to me in a tender way. Bit by bit, without feeling some force, I can start to feel my psyche break down. This break down of psyche oozes out; a change in tone; a comment lacking complete respect. He picks me up on it. He makes it clear, a very stern rebuke, that I have gone too far. And, when I am being chided in this way for feeling alone in my body, even though he doesn't know that, I can't apologize, which only makes the matter far, far worse.

On Saturday morning, I broke down. I mean I really felt that I was losing my mind. I certainly didn't look myself. 'I feel mad' I said to him, and I meant that I felt that my brain had lost its power to function in a normal way. 'I hate to see you this way,' he said to me, and we made up, but the energy remained fairly low until late in the afternoon, he took me into the bedroom, tore off my clothes except for my socks and walking shoes (I was in walking clothes) which I rather liked. He spanked me, hard, such that I couldn't catch my breath. I can't remember everything but he kept talking to me, roughly, had me on my fours, fucked me from behind...and I found myself waiting for some alteration of mood...didn't know which way it would go...until he finally released me...and I realized I had been healed, much as a person with a chronic mental health condition is immediately freed of distress by shock therapy. Evidently, my body needs  to feel force for my mind to be relaxed and at peace; no longer lonely. It is what it is.

On Monday, I watched the second Presidential debate and noticed that I was feeling sick. There was something about the spectacle of Trump acting in such undignified ways that upset me right down to my stomach. It signalled the end of civility in some way, that he could act in this way and that millions of people living in the West could think that's okay. And then, right away, I had to leave for an appointment with my son and he told me something that was a shock, a situation that required my instant input. It's rectified now but for 24 hours the two of us were troubled by it. The world, my world, it felt, can change in an instant.

And then a friend called, someone who has been living overseas and now returned, was looking for a chat, and it occurred to me in the midst of that conversation in which I was fully involved, that I felt desperately lonely. This woman who I have known for 50+ years knows so very little of me. Such 'friendships' are lonely places really.

I remember saying to my husband in the midst of my despair on Saturday morning, 'Do you think a gay person or a kinky person asks for this? Do you think we put in an order and request to be different?' I am different, different to the people around me. But, then we all are, as a matter of fact. We are all on our own islands and the business of living is to find the bridge over to another person; to relate, to connect, to love completely and to accept unconditionally. It is, perhaps, why the Donald made me ill. Such politics as his can only separate us further and it's the reason why, ultimately, he has been rejected. We very much want to find those bridges to others and away from the loneliness of our own bodies and minds.

2 comments:

  1. Being kinky is hard, especially around vanilla peeps. You have to hide what seems a lot of yourself. I have found that I serve Sir public with His food,coffee etc and if people think it's weird , then so be it.

    Finding local people I found helps. I am lucky that where I live we have a fairly active community with meetings at pubs etc fairly regularly. Maybe if you can find something similar you will feel less lonely? And if there is nothing, then start a group? A local sub circle? Much as there are creeps on Fetlife, it is a great way to meet other people.

    (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. E's sub: Thank you for the suggestions. This may sound strange but my loneliness stems mostly from ME not allowing my natural/kinky being to have adequate space. It's been a life of responsibility to other people...my husband would say the same of his life...so when I can relax into my 'bubble' and feel carefree, and also feel that that is enforced, or perhaps that there are restrictions to my choices, then I am most comfortable within my skin. Of course, I need to bounce off the 'other', to get some energy from the 'other'. But, provided that is in play, and that I can write here and elsewhere, I'm pretty much taken care of. I have spoken with people on Fetlife and Tumblr, but I find, and maybe you have come across this too, that whilst I have respect for individual kinks, it can be hard to find people who understand where I am coming from. Maybe, that is my part of my eternal and all-encompassing self of separation/loneliness from others. I enjoy, sometimes very much, talking with and meeting people, but I remain on my own island. It's just the way it is and I am relatively used to the feeling.

    ReplyDelete