Sunday, April 20, 2014

No Need to Apologize

Typically, we're  brought up to believe that it is important to apologize for wrong doing. 'I am sorry' is a phrase that often ends an argument, and/or makes someone feel better, and/or that brings closure to the upset.

It gets a bit more tricky when both people feel that they should be apologized to, which can lead to no apologies at all, or the old standby, 'I'm sorry if you're sorry too'. Then, regardless of 'fault' the two people just drive on, no matter who really was at fault.

It really bothers my husband when I don't apologize when he thinks I should, which can be complicated by the fact that he has often spoken rudely (in my opinion) after the initial offence, which makes it hard to apologize, because I think he should apologize also for being offensive.

On the other hand, part of the training that I have undergone was about not needing to apologize. The theory there was no apology was required on either side, but rather that there was a cosmic sort of understanding that the other person was sorry about whatever had gone down. Rather than bother about fault and hence apologies, it was only necessary to drive on in a spirit of this mutual understanding that things would go awry sometimes, but the best intentions were always meant.

To date, there was only one "sorry" and this was early on in the association and really meant absolutely nothing, now that I think about it, because the same behavior pattern has remained. Always, however, there was plenty of encouragement that apologies were not needed or wanted, the subtext being that I shouldn't expect them either, of course.

If I recall correctly, there was one major statement that an event that occurred was not my fault and this was a big, big thing in our friendship. Completely unsure of what I could have possibly done to cause the rift it was a statement that meant a great deal to me.

On the flip side of the coin, I apologize quickly and fully for wrongdoing. My 'brief' is completely clear to me and I know when I err. I give my regrets sincerely. I don't recall getting "that's okay" in exchange. If I've erred then apology or not there's usually more to be said on the matter. I rather think that the two sides aren't entirely balanced on this issue, but there you have it and in any case, that's in line with the arrangement anyway. We never shot for equality of any kind.

In the midst of this, I've struggled to put that practice into practice at home, until it suddenly occurred to me how much sense it made for the life I live. Let me explain.

My husband has a volatile nature; very sweet, but inclined to flare up at a moment's notice, the tone deepening and the pitch increasing as it suits him. So, over the years he's needed to apologize endlessly really. As a young man, one knew he'd lose it and then the apology would happen soon after. I got to the point of encouraging him to try to not lose it in the first place but decades later it's clear it is impossible. For some years, on the whole, he gave up apologizing. I noted it, smarted about it and got my nickers in a knot about it. If he didn't apologize, I felt, it meant he didn't get that it was troubling to be on the receiving end of a ranting man. I could be upset for hours.

More lately, he's gone back to apologizing and I think that is because he is more aware of his vast changes in moods and I think he'd like to do something about it (but can't), so he apologizes instead. Some upset remained. I tend to talk to myself in the shower about it, to get privately  upset and it is that upset that can ruin my mood.

But, then the penny dropped. There was something to the idea that if you didn't expect an apology, you didn't need to get upset at all. Better, I pondered, to accept his short failing on this matter and see it for what it was. Privately, he was sorry, and  also most likely to make up for it in some other way. More than anything else, this avoids a huge amount of angst on my part. I acknowledge him as flawed, but loving, that he appears to be vaguely aware of the flaw, at least after the fact, and likely sorry. The great part is that I don't allow it to encroach on my mood. Win:win.

I am not at all sure that my husband is willing to accept a 'deal' about this and I don't even suggest it. It's a private deal with myself. So, in those moments when I slip up, he's likely to want me to say "sorry", although I do also think that there have been many times when he has let it go, because it was such a slippery slope when we had both done wrong.

This decision on my part to not expect apologies is part and parcel of a newly embraced feeling of comfort with the philosophy of being 'the bottom'. If one takes to heart that one follows directions regardless of whether one likes them or not, then there's an intention behind that there will be the odd issue, but that the trust between the two of you means that the best intentions were always in place. More than that, it means that there will be moments when the 'bottom' doesn't care for what is going down but that's the agreement, the 'informed consent' that this is the sort of relationship wanted and desired; at the very least, agreed upon.

In some respects, that sort of policy also ensures the 'Top' and the 'bottom' are always working to make it the best possible relationship it can be. An absence of apology doesn't mean that the offense hasn't been noted and in this way there's an even bigger commitment for both people to do better next time. If the Top isn't sincere about wanting to be the best he can be under this arrangement then that too will be duly noted in good time. This only works when both people desire to improve and progress in their submission and dominance, I think. At least, that's my feeling upon writing, and a concept I've been mulling over for some weeks. I certainly wouldn't advocate it to the populous at large by any means but for those involved in a power exchange dynamic it may be an option worth considering.




5 comments:

  1. My immediate is to be uncomfortable with this notion. I have not considered it at length, nor do I have any great appreciation of your personal day to day interaction with your husband, but I sincerely believe that saying Sorry is just as healthy and meaningful for the individial saying it as the one to whom it is said.

    Self regulation is an essential behavioral trait in all social creatures. It is taught by parents to their young in order to ensure the ongoing survival of the tribe or pack or pod. It is taught by humans, wolves, elephants, horses, dolphins and countless other species to their young. The process is approximately the same in all cases: there is wrongdoing in the form of inappropriate behavior, there is reprimand, a period of distancing the wrongdoer during which they reflect on what they did, then there is an apologetic approach by the wrongdoer and an eventual reconciliation. This is the way we learn what is acceptable behavior and what is not.

    To relieve the wrongdoer of this healthy and entirely natural process is in my view a disservice to them. It denies them the opportunity to gain proper insight into their relationships with others and to reinforce those social bonds as a result; bonds that in the natural world are essential to the mutual benefit and survival of the group and individual alike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rollymo: Hi there. I don't deny your argument at all. I think it is taught this way for good reason. I happen to be responding to my circumstances and I've found great relief in understanding that an apology is not likely to come my way. I've accepted the fact that, sometimes, when someone has experienced considerable hurt via criticism/humiliation/failure in the past, they will lash out at the slightest provocation of those feelings returning to them. In these cases, it seems almost impossible for them to accept that they have behaved badly. The feeling the words engendered in their mind are *that* painful that they can't see that they over-reacted and spoke out rudely. I've found it a personally painful situation to wait for apologies in these circumstances and by understanding that the apology part isn't likely to come my way, I can see the situation for what it is and try hard to get on with my life without undue upset. But, as I said in the final sentence of my post it isn't a popular school of thought and you must certainly do what feels right to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Vesta,

    Yes, I can see why you would wish to relieve yourself of those feelings of upset when an apology may reasonably appear due but is not forthcoming. You are married to a man who, like all human beings, makes mistakes, but who never likes to admit he is in the wrong, whether he inwardly believes himself right or otherwise. That would be infuriating unless, as you have suggest, you find a way to simply let it go.

    My concern is that his outbursts will simply become more extreme, if that opportunity for self-reflection that comes between hearing the complaint and "manning up" to the apology has been denied him. Hard as it must be for him to say the S word, the act of seriously considering if an apology is due is where we seek self-knowledge and begin to understand the impact of ourselves on others. It has intrinsic value, whether or not the word is eventually said.

    So perhaps the right path is to continue to let him know when an apology is expected, but in private not keep your hopes up that one will be delivered.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one of the rare occasions (perhaps the only occasion in all the time I've read you) that I disagree with you. Any healthy relationship (even one which is a power exchange) needs both parties to be willing to apologize.

    rollymo23 has pretty much said it better than I could, especially the second comment.

    Susan aka July Girl

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rollymo/Susan: There are huge advantages to clearing the air with apologies. I think people *should* apologize. It's problematic to not apologize. I agree with all this. However, not everybody does, and when you are conducting relationships with people who don't see it this way necessarily it's sometimes far less stressful to acknowledge that they 'apologize' in less conventional ways and/or that they are forgiving types. I've noticed that by the way, that people who can't apologize tend to be able to turn the other cheek after an interlude, even if you are the one who has erred. I'm not saying I like it. I'm not saying it's easy. I'm just saying that I have learned to live with it.

    ReplyDelete